About this Guide
This research guide details some of the basic resources available to those studying the book of Acts. The books and articles listed in this study are all written in English; students who can read French or German are encouraged to consult the bibliographies on the Introduction & Overview page.
This guide aims to help students and researchers find material on Acts available at Pitts Theology Library. We also recommend consulting Mark Goodacre's New Testament Gateway for an excellent survey of online resources for the study of Acts.
You can find books, commentaries, and monographs written on the book of Acts by using Emory's DiscoverE search. Simply enter keywords that relate to a specific text or pericope of Acts (e.g., "Ethiopian Eunuch or Acts 2). One of the problems that you may encounter with keyword searches (especially the second example) is that the results will not be specific to the book of Acts in the New Testament. To counter this, you can also search by the book's subject in DisoverE (instructions). The main subject heading for the book of Acts is Bible. Acts, which currently yields over 2,000 cataloged volumes. Under this subject heading are the following subjects that help narrow the focus of the search.
- Bible. Acts -- Commentaries
- Bible. Acts -- Criticism
- Bible. Acts -- Criticism, interpretation, etc
- Bible. Acts -- Criticism, textual
- Bible. Acts -- Sermons
- Bible. Acts -- Theology
Other relevant subject headings for the book of Acts include the following:
- Bible. Acts -- Bibliography
- Bible. Acts – Authorship
- Bible. Acts -- Chronology
- Bible. Acts -- Versions
- Bible. Acts -- Historiography
- Bible. Acts -- History
- Bible. Acts -- Homiletical Use
- Bible. Acts -- Introductions
- Bible. Acts -- Language, style
- Bible. Acts -- Relation to the Old Testament
- Bible. Acts -- Socio-rhetorical criticism
- Bible. Acts -- Sources
- Bible. Acts -- Textbooks
- Bible. Acts -- Versions
- Bible. Acts -- Manuscripts
- Bible. Acts -- Manuscripts, Greek
You can also narrow down your search to specific texts within the book of Acts. For instance, if you perform a subject search with the following criteria it will bring back all the volumes related to Acts 20: Bible. Acts -- XX. Note, the roman numerals designate the chapter of Acts, while Arabic numerals designates the verse number(s). Thus, Bible. Acts -- XX 32will yield those volumes that specifically address Acts 20:32.
Another option is to search DiscoverE using a call number (instructions). Studies and commentaries dealing primarily in the book of Acts have call numbers that begin with BS2625. Studies that span both Luke and Acts have the call number BS2589. Each of these searches can be sorted by relevance, date, title, author, or popularity. We also suggest going into Pitts Theology Library and browsing the shelves at these two call numbers. This is a great way to supplement your research since it is possible that a certain book might catch your attention that you did not find through a search.
Biblical Studies Journals
Some of the more important journals in the field of biblical studies.
- Biblical Interpretation
- Bulletin of the American Schools of Oriental Research
- Catholic Biblical Quarterly
- Currents in Research: Biblical Studies
- Dead Sea Discoveries: A Journal of Current Research on the Scrolls and Related Literature
- Greece & Rome
- Journal for the Study of the New Testament
- Journal for the Study of the Old Testament
- Journal of Biblical Literature
- The Journal of Hellenic Studies
- Journal of Near Eastern Studies
- Journal of the American Oriental Society
- Near Eastern Archaeology (Biblical Archaeology
- New Testament Studies
- Novum Testamentum
- Review of Biblical Literature
General Religion Databases:
- ATLA Religion Database (EBSCO)
The most complete database for biblical studies; usually the first place to look for articles or abstracts.
- Catholic Periodical and Literature Index (EBSCO)
Index of journals, documents, and other resources from the Roman Catholic tradition.
- Christian Periodical Index (EBSCO)
An index of journal articles and book reviews from an Evangelical perspective.
- Index Theologicus
A theology database through Tübingen University that complements the ATLA Religion database; free access.
- New Testament Abstracts
Abstracts of books, journal articles, and essays on New Testament texts or subjects.
- Old Testament Abstracts
Abstracts of books, journal articles, and essays on Old Testament/Hebrew Bible texts or subjects.
- Oxford Reference Online
Online editions of reference works published by Oxford, which includes some important dictionaries and encyclopedias on religion and the Bible.
- Project Muse
Access online books and journal articles on a variety of subjects, including religion.
- Religion and Philosophy Collection (EBSCO)
Access to full-text magazines, journals, newspapers, and book reviews on religion and philosophy.
- World Religion Database
Provides religious statistics and demographic information.
- Biblical Archaeology Society Online Archive
Access the Biblical Archaeology Review magazine and other publications by BAS.
- DYABOLA: A Database of the Ancient World
A useful database for information on the archaeology of antiquity and material culture. An access key may be needed for off campus use.
Greek and Latin texts:
- Library of Latin Texts
A large collection of Latin texts.
- Patrologiae Graecae
The electronic version of Migne's Patrologia Graecae (editions of the Greek church fathers) published between 1857-1866.
- Patrologia Latina
The electronic version of Migne's Patrologia Latina (editions of the Latin church fathers), published between 1844 and 1855.
- Thesaurus Linguae Grecae
A searchable repository of ancient Greek literature; excellent resource for studying word usage in Antiquity.