Christianity in Africa developed rapidly in the 20th century, both through the churches of "mission churches" of Catholic and Protestant groups and through independent African churches. But most histories of African Christianity remind readers that Christianity in Africa extends much farther back in history, including notable Christian figures like Augustine of Hippo, Clement of Alexandria, and Tertullian. This page provides reference sources, histories, theologies, and Web connections for understanding Christianity in Africa yesterday, today, and tomorrow.
See also the General Resources page for reference works that consider African countries and topics as part of a larger survey.
Some key themes in African theology include inculturation, liberation, and reconstruction. The books below provide avenues for exploring these themes, as well as African explorations of other theological matters.
Pitts Theology Library is home to many periodicals from sub-Saharan Africa. The list below focuses on some of the academic journals that may be used for scholarly purposes; if you are looking for denominational publications, the list is much larger. Click here to learn about this special collection, or click here to see the full lists of periodicals available. To search for titles from a specific country or denomination, use the complex search in EUCLID with the phrase "sub-saharan african periodicals collection" in one box and the denomination or country of interest in another.
1. Acta Theologica. Published by the University of the Orange Free State in South Africa.
2. African Journal of Biblical Studies. Published by the Nigerian Association for Biblical Studies.
3. Africa Journal of Evangelical Theology. Published by Scott Theological College in Kenya.
4. Africa Theological Journal. Published by Makumira University College, Tumaini University in Tanzania.
5. AFER (African Ecclesial Review). Published by AMECEA Gaba Publications in Kenya.
6. Hervormde Teologiese Studies. Published by the University of Pretoria in South Africa. New issues (2009 on are available as an open-access journal here: http://www.hts.org.za/index.php/HTS
7. Journal of African Christian Thought. Published by the Akrofi-Christaller Memorial Centre for Mission Research and Applied Theology in Ghana.
8. Journal of Religion in Africa. Published by Brill Publishers.
9. Journal of Theology for Southern Africa. Published by the South African Council of Churches.
10. Religion and Theology. Began as a publication of the University of South Africa; now published by Brill. Covers a wide range of topics, but many articles focus on issues related to religion in Africa. Volumes not available online are available in the Periodicals Room of the library.