About This Guide
A guide to the theology, polity, worship and ethos of the Episcopal Church (USA) and its parent body, the Anglican Communion.
Both basic guides and advanced information for seminary students and clergy.
Organized around the seven subjects covered by the General Ordination Exam:
- Holy Scriptures.
- Church History (inc. Ecumenical Movement)
- Ethics / Moral Theology.
- Contemporary Society (inc Racial and Minority Groups)
- Liturgics / Music.
- Theory / Practice of Ministry.
Pages are arranged from general to specific
--Basic information on top
--Advanced material on bottom
--Book titles link to DiscoverE catalog
--Book cover images link to Amazon.
--Periodical titles link to online page or to DiscoverE.
Basic Periodicals and Magazines
--Monthly newspaper of the Episcopal Church.
--Tend to conservative Anglo-Catholic editorial positions.
--Some material is online; subscribers get full access.
--Limited online access to non-subscribers.
--Website with limited access to articles.
Introductions to the Episcopal Church and Anglicanism
Scroll down to view complete list
--Excerpts from major thinkers.
--Brief descriptions of terms, persons, places, polity
--Weak on liturgical terms
--No annotation for individual entries
--Extensive whole book bibliography.
Finding Books about the Episcopal Church in the Catalog
- In DiscoverE, click on Advanced Search
- choose "Subject" and "is (exact)" in the drop down
- Use search term: Episcopal Church
- Episcopal Church--History
- Episcopal Church--History--19th Century
- Episcopal Church--Controversial literature
- Episcopal Church--Government
- Episcopal Church--Doctrines
- Episcopal Church--Prayers and devotions
- Episcopal Church--Periodicals
- Episcopal Church--Georgia
- Episcopal Church. Diocese of place--History
- Ordination of Women--Episcopal Church
- Liturgy--History--Episcopal Church
- Use "Anglican Communion" for the denomination collecitvely
- For books on individual churches in the Anglican Communion, search by the name of the church (see the list in the right-hand column of this page).
|BX5810||Societies. Guilds, Conventions, congresses, etc|
|BX5850-5876||Study and teaching|
|BX5925||Movements and parties|
|BX5926-5928.5||Episcopal Church and other churches|
|BX5929-5930.3||General works. Doctrines, etc.|
|BX5935||Pamphlets, addresses, essays, etc.|
|BX5936||Controversial works, satire, etc.|
|BX5937||Sermons. Tracts. Addresses. Essays|
|BX5938||Articles of religion|
|BX5939||Creeds and catechisms|
|BX5940-5948||Liturgy and ritual. Church service|
|BX5950-5968.5||Government. Organization. Discipline|
|BX5969||Parish missions. Evangelistic work|
|BX5970-5974||Religious orders. Conventual life|
|BX5975||Church societies, guilds, etc.|
|BX5978||Benevolent work. Welfare work|
|BX5979||African Americans and the Episcopal Church|
|BX5979.5||Other special topics, alphabetically|
|BX5001-5009||General material on the Anglican Communion|
|BX5011-5207||Books on the Church of England|
Books on other churches in the Anglican Communion can be found under their respective names.
Here are some sources for finding articles on Anglicanism and the Episcopal Church:
ATLA Religion Database (EBSCO)
Christian Periodical Index (EBSCO)
Top Ten New Releases from Amazon
Reference Librarian & Outreach Coordinator
Pitts Theology Library
Churches in the Anglican Communion
Scroll down to see entire list
Provinces listed alphabetically by country.
There are six extra-provincial churches in the Anglican Communion; all but Cuba are under the authority of the Archbishop of Canterbury.