- a bibliographic management system
- supported by Emory
EndNote allows you to
- maintain a database of references
- create bibliographies and citations using Microsoft Office, Apple Pages, and OpenOffice.org Writer 3.
EndNote X7 is the current version
Basic EndNote Navigation
The key to navigating EndNote is to use the Navigation Bar at the top left. This bar gives you three options for display:
- Choose the stack of books to look at your local library
- Choose the Globe to search online
- Choose the Globe and Books to combine these two into one screen
The Navigation Bar also allows you to easily switch between Output Styles
4 Steps to Set-up Endnote
- Visit the Software Distribution Page and click on the "Download" link next to EndNote.
- You will be asked for your EmoryID and password.
- In order to use the instructions on this guide, download EndNote X7.
- If you are using a Mac, download the .dmg file (at the top of the page).
- If you are using a PC, download the .exe file (scroll down halfway down the page, under the Windows Software tab).
(Be sure to close all other programs before beginning installation)
- Endnote installation also provides users with at least two years free access to EndNote Web
- See the EndNote Web tab for more information
Note: Be sure to run the "EndNote Program Updates" tool from the "Help" menu after you have installed the program
Check the Helps tab in this guide for information on known issues
- Connection file for Emory Catalog DiscoverE (This should already be installed in an X7 version of EndNote)
- The NT Abstracts Connection file is helpful for Biblical studies
- The OT Abstracts Connection file is also helpful for Biblical studies
- WorldCAT is a way of searching holding of thousands of libraries
- WorldCAT Dissertations and Theses
- Additional files can be found at http://www.endnote.com/support/enfilters.asp
The SBL style (built off of the Chicago style) is not available by default in EndNote, and so it must be downloaded:
- Start EndNote and on the menu bar, go to "Edit -> Preferences"
- Select the "Find Full Text" option
- Check the first, second, and forth boxes
- In the Open URL Path box, enter "http://sfxhosted.exlibrisgroup.com/emu"
- In the "Authenticate With" box enter, "http://proxy.library.emory.edu"
Create or Open a Library in EndNote
To use EndNote
- You must have at least one library of references
- The default is called My Library and is created when you install the program
- EndNote opens this library each time it is launched unless preferences are changed
- You can create new / separate libraries:
- Select "File" --> "New"
- Select a name and location for your library
Materials can be organized in groups and sub-groups or in separate libraries. See the "Organizing Materials" tab in this guide.